Academic Careers : Your Next Steps
Are you currently employed as an early career / postdoctoral researcher/teaching fellow (i.e. contract staff on grade 6, 7 & 8) and want to work out your next steps should be on the route to a permanent academic post? Would you find it useful to hear what established academics have to say about their own career paths and how they negotiated that transition to a permanent post? Would you like to know exactly what an academic employer is looking for?
This course is designed to help you to reflect on your career and where you should go next. It is open to early career staff from any discipline. This course will enable you to:
• Understand the skills and qualities required to succeed in an academic career.
• Analyse the elements of a successful academic career in your discipline.
• Hear from a number of successful academics, about their career paths to date and receive their input and advice.
• Hear what going on in the minds of the recruitment panel.
• Consider your current research profile and assess how it should develop in order to serve your long term career objectives.
• Develop a personalised action plan to help you to progress toward your ambitions.