PhD Essentials: Starting Your Research Degree
These are highly recommended workshops run by the LEAP Researcher Skills Team and the Graduate Training and Support Centre. All September/October starters* will be pre-booked onto the relevant session, and will receive additional joining instructions by email, please make sure you have no other commitments on the day. There will be separate sessions for each Faculty:
- Faculty of Arts / Performance, Visual Arts and Communications
- Faculty of Education, Social Sciences and Law
- Leeds University of Business School
- General for all Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
Please check the Calendar for details of dates.
- The PhD process – being a research student at Leeds
- Doing the Right Thing – researching with integrity
- Your PhD in context – where do you fit in?
- Getting the best from your supervisor
- What I wish I’d known….
- Looking ahead – being prepared for your PhD
By the end of the workshop you will:
- Understand the key processes involved in getting a PhD at Leeds
- Have considered aspects of academic integrity including the correct use of citation, research ethics, data management
- Understand where you fit into research and your Faculty
- Have considered how to get the most out of your working relationship with your supervisor
- Started the process of analysing your training and development needs
- Had an opportunity to discuss issues and concerns with other PhD students
- Started to develop an action plan for the first six months of your PhD
*Later starters should contact your PG Administrator for more information about later Starting Your Research Degree sessions.